Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 17th, 2011: The International Day of Awesome

May 17th, 2011 started off much the way any summer morning starts off for a dysfunctional kitsune in my line of work: Get up at the ass crack of dawn, pull on scrubs, and prepare for a day of feral cat wrangling, crazy dog shaking, and bodily fluid explosions.

May 17th stands different for two reasons. Today, after years of prayer, hope, and desperation, Pyro got called into his supervisor's office and asked if he wanted the department's new IT job. Having graduated with his degree in networking almost 3 years ago, we were both starting to think that finding a job in the area was something that simply would not happen. He's put in so many 100s of applications that I'm pretty sure any self-respecting company in TN has probably gotten a token of the process. With much struggle, comes much heartache. He's been so tired, sick, fed-up, disgusted, heartbroken, and downtrodden for so long about the whole ordeal. Having to pay back student loans on an empty wallet and living paycheck to paycheck tends to take its toll on a person. When I got the call from him this afternoon, I can honestly say that I've never heard him so happy, proud, and fulfilled. To my surprise, I never thought I could fill so happy, proud, and fulfilled for another person. The job stands as a testament of his hard work, sacrifice, and good heart, and I can honestly say that he deserved it more than anyone. I'm so proud of you, Pyro! ^-^ <3



Minutes after recovering from the joy of hearing the news of Pyro's job, I was informed that the university finally posted our final grades. I've been very sick and worried about passing this year for a few weeks now, so it was with great trepidation that I looked them up.

I'm proud to say that I have officially passed my first year of vet school, and I am now OFFICIALLY a second year vet student. I actually did much better than I ever expected to do, managing to get A's in Parasitology, CCE, and even *GASP* ANATOMY! O_o I have no idea how I got an A in anatomy. NONE. While I worked ridiculously hard for the class, I was expecting to make a B and was happy with that. Words cannot describe the my confusion, joy, and shock. As for the other classes, Microanatomy did round up in the end to give me a B in the class, and I ended up with a B in Virology as well. The dreaded Epidemiology final pulled up my Epi grade to a C+ and the Neurophysiology final gave me a C+ in Physiology as well. Surprisingly, my GPA actually improved after this semester to a 3.28 from a 3.24.

Somehow, I survived first year. I know that it was only with help from many different factors that this happened: my family for supporting me, Pyro for consoling me, Mecha for dragging me out on crazy adventures and getting my mind off of things, God for granting me the strength to deal with everything and filling in for my shortcomings, my study group for forcing me to study and making it fun, and Dexter for dealing with my constant studying. Together, somehow, we made it! I have not heard from the rest of the group, but I sincerely hope that the rest of the class of 2014 will be moving on to second year with me. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment