Saturday, October 23, 2010

Just Clostridium

My family came up to visit this weekend and go to the football game. I love them very much and am always very happy to get a chance to spend time with them. Too bad that I am stuck here studying for my Bacteriology test on Monday. At least I get to go to the game tonight. Although football really isn't my forte, I do like watching the games live. It's kind of exciting to get caught up in everyone's emotions, and my dad has wanted to go to this game forever since we are playing a big rival team.

I wish my tests didn't have to cut out our time together. I'm so burnt out on studying that I really don't know how I'm still going. The other day, a friend told me after the P.D. test that she's been pretty sick and needed to see someone or else she was going to have to drop out of vet school. I don't think people on the outside realize just how hard, time-consuming, and breaking vet school can be at times. So many people crash and burn because they just can't do it anymore, physically or mentally. I can't blame them. It does wear on the soul. You begin to miss the daylight, the friends, significant others, and life, in general. When you are in vet school, most people don't have lives outside of school. They simply can't maintain both lives anymore. You can try as hard as you want, but eventually one has to give for the other to survive. It's a wonder that so many people actually graduate from vet school. I know that I am not in the most challenging, death-match of programs, also. One of our interns is from Germany. She told us that they let everyone into vet school there and see how many crash and burn. She said you sit down for a test and you and someone else are the last ones there, and you know that one of you won't be there tomorrow.

I know that I could be in a program like that where you are almost expected to fail. I'm very fortunate. I know I shouldn't complain about things like this. I could be one of the people struggling to even get a shot to try out vet school. I suppose the message that I want to convey is that it's very consuming. For the friends and family of those in vet school, we may not be as open or understanding at times. We may have a bad attitude about things. We may seem broken, beaten, and empty at moments, but we are always going to be here for you. We love you, truly we do. We will be ourselves again, even if we seem to lack that at times. Just give us a while for our heads to clear when we act oddly.

For the significant others of those in vet school, it really isn't you. It is us. We are overworked and downtrodden. We may see the smallest things as the beginnings of battles. While it is us, you have got to meet us half way. If you have a loved one in vet school, make them dinner some night so that they eat and leave sweet, encouraging notes for them to find. If you aren't close to your loved one, send them sweet emails, letters, or "care" packages. Let them know that you care. Understand that they won't always want to talk to you on the phone or when they get home. Above all, just love them. That's what they need most of all.

All that said, I guess I'm not really sure what kind of blog this is. I would say self-pity, but I'm not sure I feel like it is so much. Maybe it's a, "just so you know" blog or a "facts of vet school life" blog so that people entering vet school or people with loved ones in vet school will have some kind of understanding of the time, the love, and the losses associated with being in it. Maybe it's just a "I am miffed because I'm here and not at GMX this weekend" blog. >_<

Whatever it is, I got a chai mix of tea from Teavana and german rock sugar, so it will all be okay.

^-^


Also, I'm found this picture on PostSecret. I found it strangely true. Maybe not a book read by Babar, but when I was little I always thought that I was just a character in a really crappy book with a boring plot that someday someone would just stop reading. I know it probably sounds strange. Anyway. Does anyone else remember Babar?!

No comments:

Post a Comment