Thursday, October 14, 2010

Your Argument is Invalid Because I Have a Rocket Launcher



You know those days that stand between you and freedom? The day you have worked so hard to prepare for, and you are burnt out on. So you strap on your best pair of combat boots and prepare for the final assault. You know that you will probably not sequester the fiend to achieve glorious victory, but that doesn't mean you won't give it your best shot and head out, head held high and guns readied.

This is kind of how I feel about my anatomy exam tomorrow. When you have spent well over 100 solid hours studying for something, you start to not really care anymore. You know that you don't know everything you need to (most of us). Though how anyone can when your teacher hands you a 300 page lab book and just says, "It's all in here", I'll never know. At this point, I find myself wallowing in a field of information so vast that I could never pack it all in even if I spent my life at it. After all, very few clients walk in and demand a list of innervations for the muscles of the thorax off the top of your head. You have your base knowledge of commonly used/lost muscles, innervations, and vessels, but you have a huge stack of reference books to fill in the gaps. I guess that what I am saying is that I now have this base knowledge, but I am not a reference book. I have trouble remembering what I had for dinner last night. I'm more adept of employing skills over a long term. I pick up information and continuously apply it over a span of 3-4 years and then it's there if I continue to use it.

I know this probably all made no sense. It really doesn't have to. I have given it my very best (more than I've ever given anything), and I just have to leave it at that. Do I know everything? No. Will I ever? No. But I'm here for the long haul. That's what school is about, right? You learn pieces to add to an ever increasing mental library of information. It isn't in the short term that you see results, but rather in the long term. I have no doubt that I will someday be a fantastic vet, not because I know everything or made A's on all of my tests in vet school, but because I truly, honestly, madly, deeply, unfathomably love the animals I hope to treat, the people I hope to teach, and the medicine that I am learning.

So, Dr. Anatomy, don't work so hard to discourage us. I know you probably don't mean to, but it really drags some of us down. It's okay though because we're all going to be wonderful vets in different ways. I'm sorry that I could not live up to your standards in anatomy class, but I have learned a lot, and it will stay with me always.

(Also, 55 days left until the end of this semester....THANKS GOD!)

No comments:

Post a Comment